Brutal by K.S Adkins: ARC Review


Title: Brutal (Detroit After Dark, #1)
Author: K.S Adkins
Series:  Detroit After Dark
Release Date: January 21, 2014





My name is Venessa Cross.

I'm a Detroit DJ with issues. I know it, my friends know it, and even the enemy knows it.

The problem is, now the Detroit Police Department knows it, too.

I was wrong to think my nighttime activities would go unnoticed. Eventually I wound up on his radar.

He lives for the law, I exist outside of it. I expected the rules to change, but I didn't expect that one simple handshake would also change… everything else.

When he's assigned to protect me, he gets a back stage pass to my world.
Now I make him question the very oath he stands for, and I hate myself for it.

I’m convinced I’ll ruin him.
Yet, he wants to save me.

If you thought the streets of Detroit were brutal, you haven’t seen me in action.
Follow me and watch me do what the police can't: deliver punishment.

My name is Venessa Cross.






ATTITUDE!!!  This book has attitude!

This is not your typical romance.  It’s really not.  It’s not a dark romance, but it’s certainly not light and airy with puppies and rainbows around every corner either.  It’s gritty, raw, emotional and has………… HEART.  I seriously love it, love it, love it.

KS Adkins kicks ass with words!  She’s brutally honest and uncensored.  I love that she writes without a filter. If you are okay with swearing and vulgarity, edgy characters, shady happenings, sloppy sex, and uncensored dialogue keep reading.  If not, keep reading anyway because you might just change your mind and read an edgy, different, and totally kick-ass “romance”.

Venessa is the biggest bad-ass heroine ever!!  She is a club DJ by night and vigilante (or, Good Samaritan as she prefers to be called) by day.  She hangs out on the seedy side of town, keeps to herself (for obvious reasons), and lays low.  But, when she ends up on the radar of the DPD she’s forced to work with Detective Rogan Black.  Rather, he’s supposed to “protect” her.  How ironic…… the Detective protecting the vigilatine!?!

Venessa and Rogan have less than ideal pasts. Both have put up walls to protect themselves and shut others out; but, when they are forced to spend nearly 24/7 together those walls firmly cemented in place start to crack.  There’s an undeniable connection between the pair neither has ever experienced before.  But as a cop, Rogan struggles with the fact that Venessa has her toes over the line of right and wrong.  He wants to save her, but does Venessa want to be saved?

Venesssa and Rogan are lovable characters.  The way they are written makes you instantly like them.  I didn’t need to warm up to them; I liked them both from the start. 

It’s written in the first person with alternating POVs – which is all time my favorite format. (So Kelly, you scored extra points right off the bat.)  I don’t know…. I didn’t feel like I was just reading a book though.  And, I feel like Venessa and Rogan aren’t just telling a story – they’re sharing their feelings that just happen to be part of their story. 

Dialogue.  This book has great dialogue and lots of it!  That’s what makes or breaks a book for me – it’s what carries the story.  I loved everything that was said between Venessa and Rogan.  They were so honest with their feelings.  And, it’s a nice change.  Most books have characters hiding their true feelings or holding back which leads to a “misunderstanding”, the relationship goes south, and then we’re left with the angst of “how is this going to be made right by the end of the book”.  Not here – full disclosure and brutal honesty.  

Oh!!! I almost forgot to mention.......   Want to know the absolute best part about Rogan?  He's ugly.  Yes, I said ugly.  I'll spell to make sure you heard correctly...... U-G-L-Y!  When was the last time an author described the hero as ugly?  NEVER!  So for that fact alone, you need to pick up this book!!!

It’s definitely a book you can get wrapped up in – I sure did.  This book has a totally fresh and new vibe to it!  This was my first read of the New Year and couldn’t have asked for a better way to start it off!!!


4 STARS!!!



K.S. Adkins is an Indie Author who loves guns, foul language, not so happily ever afters, tough chicks and the alphas who try to tame them.

My stories are written with heavy dialogue and are Detroit based. If you don't like heavy dialogue or Detroit don't read my stories. My characters are typically dark and fairly fucked up so if you want sappy characters without issues, don't read my stories.

I love violence, guns, blood, foul language, awkward sex, rap, metal and untraditional people. Every fight scene was tried and tested by me, I have the bruises to prove it too.

I write romance but my characters are not romantic, each is a work in progress. My stories are about strong women and the alphas who try to tame them but never do.

At the end of the day you may not like my stories, you may also think I suck as an Author and that's okay, but I have to tell you I had the best fucking time writing them and for me that's what it's all about.

No comments:

 
DESIGN BY: THE BLOG DECORATOR