Once Bitten, Twice Shy by C.C. Wood: Review



I used to think that my life was boring. I resigned myself to the rut I was stuck in. Then my entire existence was turned upside down.

In the last six months, I’ve learned things that would get me committed to an asylum if I repeated them. First, I was kidnapped by vampires. Yes, vampires. Sounds crazy, right? My best friend, Donna, became one of the fanged after that little adventure and hooked up with a hot, Scottish vampire named Conner. They’re even planning a wedding.

Secondly, I learned not all vampires are evil. In fact, some of them are downright sexy.

Alexander Dimitriades has it all. He’s tall, dark, and handsome and manages to give me tingles in all the right place and also make me laugh. Unfortunately, to be with him, I would have to give up my humanity and I like being human. Then, there’s the fact that the whole drinking blood thing gives me the heebie jeebies.

To make matters worse, there are plans in motion to change the place vampires hold in the human world. And I’m caught in the middle, between the vampire I’m falling in love with and a group that wants to create a vampire dictatorship, with humans as slaves.

Now, all I want is my calm, normal life back. As my friend, Ricki, likes to say, “Be careful what you wish for because it might come and bite you on the ass.” I hate it when she’s right.


                A few years ago paranormal was my go to genre. Since I’ve gotten into indie authors and contemporary romance I’ve lessened the amount of paranormal books I read to the few big authors I can’t give up. I feel in love with CC Wood when I read her Friends With Benefits series, so though I was cautious about reading yet another vampire novel I knew I had to give her a fair shot. Gods, am I glad I did! Once Bitten, Twice Shy picks up where the previous book (Bite Me) left off. Ivie has escaped capture and attempted rape by a very bad vampire and is now living with her best friend (turned vampire) and the best friend’s vampire man. Enter the hot sexy and hard to resist Alexander ‘Lex’ Dimitriades and you’ve got the recipe for a fun and enthralling book. Though her attraction to Lex can’t be denied, Ivie can’t fathom a relationship between a human and a vampire.

“I mean, that was like me having a romantic relationship with a cow.  You didn’t have relationships with your food.”
                This book is filled with everything you could want! Action, adventure, and some steamy sex scenes J I love that even though this is a book with paranormal elements (vampires, werewolves, and witches…oh my) that is not the main focus. The characters are full and awesome. The girlfriends are funny as Hell! Love any time they get together for drinks and gossip! Fast paced, quick read that leaves you wanting more! Kerry's story is next and it's going to be one hell of a ride!  





A native Texan, C.C. grew up either reading or playing the piano. Years later, she’s still not grown up and doing the same things. Since the voices in her head never shut up, C.C. decided to try and profit from their crazy stories and started writing books.

Now that she has a baby girl at home, C.C.’s non-writing time is usually spent cleaning up poopy diapers or feeding the poop machine. Sometimes she teaches piano, cooks, or spends time bugging her hubby and two beagles.


A Day in the Life

A lot of my non-writer friends and family think my job is pretty cool. In fact, they’re right. 

But not for the reasons they think. Let me give you a tour of my typical day....

4 a.m.- 6 a.m.- The baby wakes up with a wet/poopy diaper. I then proceed to get up every 

twenty or thirty minutes from then until 6 a.m. to soothe her. Oh yeah, did I mention I was up til 

7 a.m.-9 a.m.- Feeding, diapering, and playing with the baby. I’m sure you SAHM’s know 

9 a.m.- Lil Bit goes down for a nap. Hallelujah!!! I can take a shower and try to write....um, 

halfway through my shower, the baby starts screaming, so I’m rushing like a madwoman to get 

finished so I can get in there to check on her. I’m in such a hurry I forget to shave one leg. It’s 

the same damn leg I forgot to shave yesterday. I’m sure the husband will have snarky things to 

say about how I resemble a before-and-after photo. BTW, the baby managed to get both chubby 

legs stuck between the slats on her crib and couldn’t get loose. Hence the screaming.

10 a.m.- She’s up. She won’t go back to sleep. She doesn’t want to be held but she doesn’t 

want to play on the floor. We compromise and she sits in her jumperoo. I settle in for an hour or 

so of writing. Oh, time for a sex scene. Halfway through I look up to find huge blue eyes staring 

at me as my 8 month old daughter giggles. Um, okay, that’s a mood killer. Guess I’ll have to 

11 a.m.-1 p.m.- Repeat steps from the 7 to 9 o’clock hours.

1 p.m.- Afternoon nap for the baby. Damn, I miss naps. Anyway, I’ll finally get some 

writing done, right? Um, NO! I need to do laundry. I need to vacuum. I need to play Candy 

Crush (Shut up! No judging.) Shit, is it 2 p.m. already?

2 p.m.- 2:15 p.m.- I write 4 pages. Weird.

2:16 p.m.- Baby wakes up and won’t go back to sleep. Guess I’m done writing for the 

3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.- Day Job: I teach piano lessons IRL to pay the mortgage. It’s fun. I 

5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.- I cook dinner. I do dishes. I bathe and lotion the baby, after she spits 

peas, carrots, or pears all over me. Bottle, story, then bed! Yay! I can write.

7:45 p.m.- Hubby comes into office. “Aren’t you going to spend time with me? I haven’t 

seen you all day. Surely you had plenty of time to get that done today. (I’m not admitting to 

anything here, but does anyone know how to get rid of a body?)

9 p.m.- 12 a.m.- I sit on the couch next to my snoring hubby, laptop on my lap, and write 

after he guilt-tripped me into coming into the living room to spend time with him then promptly 


12:30 p.m.- Crap, is it 12:30 already??? Time for bed!





No comments:

 
DESIGN BY: THE BLOG DECORATOR